We have assembled this list of highlights of local attractions and amenities to help you plan to get the most out of your vacation in Sodus Point.
ANIMAL FARM -- Take the kids to see the animals at Cracker Box Palace https://www.facebook.com/Cracker-Box-Palace-Farm-Animal-Haven-106220752235/ at Alasa Farms https://www.geneseelandtrust.org/public-spaces/alasa-farms. Kids of all ages like this place and there are also extensive hiking trails and events.
BOAT LAUNCH – 1+\- mile away; free public launch located on Route 14 at Margaretta Rd with parking.
BOAT RENTALS -- There are several marinas in the area where you can rent boats and these 2 are the closest to the vacation homes:
BOAT SLIP RENTALS --Multiple places on the bay offer short-term slip rentals though the most convenient locations in relation to our vacation homes are the first 2 listed below
- Private Marina -- There is a small marina next to the softball diamond (corner of Bay St Ext & Greig St) that rents slips by the day, weekend or week for boats up to 24’. This marina has no office . . . just a small sign with the phone number 585-703-4097. The owner/manager lives on the Point and will meet you.
- Krenzer Marine -- www.krenzermarine.com also rents slips and can handle larger boats too.
- Katlynn Marine -- www.katlynnmarine.com.
CONCERTS ON THE LAWN OVERLOOKING THE LAKE – During summer months there are free concerts on the lawn at the historic lighthouse overlooking the lake at 7606 North Ontario St at the Point. Most of the concerts are on Sunday afternoons though check the schedule https://www.sodusbaylighthouse.org/pages/concert-series-at-the-lighthouse as some may vary (such as the July 4th event). This is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with friends and family. Bring your lawn chairs, cooler, snacks, drinks, etc and enjoy the music and incredible view. If you brought your boat, anchor just offshore to enjoy the sounds as well.
FIREWOOD -- If you want to have bonfires on the beach (or at Bayside Getaway or Bay View at the Point where we have outdoor fire pits), or in the indoor fireplace at the Beach House, please note that NYS law prohibits transporting firewood more than 50 miles due to invasive insects. Therefore, once you get within 50 miles, start looking for road-site firewood sales. There is a homeowner that sells wood from their front yard 3 miles south of Sodus Point at 6477 State Route 14, North Rose. The convenience store in the Point sells small bundles as well. Please observe all rules posted in the vacation homes regarding fires.
FISHING -- The area is known for it's fishing year-round. From a boat, off the pier, fly-fishing in a stream, through a hole in the ice on the bay, or virtually anyway you can imagine to throw a line in the water, you'll see why people come from all over to our little community to fish. Here are a few websites that routinely provide information on the local fishing opportunities.
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation -- https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/88424.html
- Wayne County Tourism -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/featured-articles/fishing-update
- Charters -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/charter-boat-services/
- Where to get a fishing license -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/fishing-licenses
GOLF – There are are numerous golf courses in the region, many of which can be found with a simple Google search, though we highly recommend playing Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club which is only a few minutes away overlooking the bay. The club also has a full service restaurant and bar open to the public. Check out their website and call ahead as there are some restrictions for non-members. https://www.sodusbayheights.com/
GROCERIES – You might want to think about groceries before arriving as there are no large grocery stores in the Village of Sodus Point. Although the convenience store in the Village is great for the 1 or 2 things you forget, for larger shopping we suggest using one of the following:
- Paton’s Super Duper https://patonsmarketplace.com/ in the Town of Sodus (7 miles south-west of Sodus Point) at 109 W Main St, Sodus, NY 14551. It’s a small grocery store but surprisingly well-stocked and reasonably priced for a small-town store. There is also a drug store, Subway, hardware store and a few other conveniences along Main Street there as well.
- Tops Friendly Market https://www.topsmarkets.com/StoreLocator/Store?L=413&M=&From=&S= in the town of Ontario (17 miles west of Sodus Pt) at 6272 Furnace Road, Ontario, NY 14519. This is a large full-service grocery with somewhat better pricing. It sits within a plaza with other stores and restaurants too. If you’re coming from the West through Rochester area this will be right on your way.
HISTORY -- If you're into history you might enjoy learning more about our community's history at http://historicsoduspoint.com/ in addition to visiting the Lighthouse museum below.
LIGHTHOUSE - The Sodus Bay historic lighthouse is just a short walk away from each of our cottages. Check their website for more information at www.sodusbaylighthouse.org
MARINAS – More info coming soon though in the interim some of the marinas can be found under Boat Rentals and Boat Slip Rentals above as well under the tourism link below.
- Chimney Bluffs State Park -- If you're new to the area, this is a "must-hike" park. Be sure to use caution and obey all the posted signs. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/
RESTAURANTS/BARS/ICE CREAM STANDS – Although there are more in the region to be sure, we have only attempted to list those that are right in the Village within a short walk from the cottages. Be sure to check hours as some of these close during the off-season or operate with shorter hours.
- The Bay Street -- https://www.facebook.com/Martinilandfinedining/
- Captain Jack's Goodtime Tavern -- www.captainjacksgoodtimetavern.com
- Marlins -- https://www.facebook.com/Marlins-722063091290041/
- Six60 -- https://www.facebook.com/Six50Sodus
- Hots Point -- www.hotspoint.com
- Back Alley Grill -- https://www.facebook.com/tankerboy1/
- Snack Shop (near the pier) -- In summer season there is a small snack shop right at the beach near the fishing pier where you can get ice cream, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.
SNOW MOBILE INFO -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/snowmobile-information
TOURISM INFORMATION SITES
- Village Information Booth – In the summer season you’ll find an adorable little tourism booth located in the park at the corner of Bay Street and Bay Street Ext (opposite the Pit Stop convenience store). The booth is manned by volunteers that can speak to many of the activities in the area.
- Online Information – The local tourism bureau has a great website www.waynecountytourism.com/
WINERY TRAIL -- For local wineries, cideries and distilleries be sure to visit the Lake Ontario Wine Trail at https://www.lakeontariowinetrail.com/